How to Choose the Best Moisturizer for Your Skin
The cold season is upon us once again and this means dealing with dry flaky skin. It may not seem much of a concern when you look at the wide array of moisturizers in the market today. But finding the best moisturizer for your skin isn’t as easy as you think. There are several factors to consider to make sure that a moisturizer is compatible with your skin. Here are some steps that you can take in finding the best moisturizing solution for your dry skin problems.
- Know your skin type. People are generally classified into five skin types. These include normal, oily, dry, combination, and sensitive skin. If you want to find the best moisturizer for your skin, then you’ll have to determine in which category it falls. A moisturizer that is compatible with your skin will bring you the best results.
- Familiarize yourself with different types of moisturizers. There are also five types of moisturizing products that you can find in the market today. Depending on your skin type you can opt for a lotion, cream, oil, ointment, or serum. Lotion and serum are ideal for those with oily skin because they are the lightest form of moisturizers. On the other hand ointments are the thickest form of moisturizers and are usually petroleum based. They are great for those with extremely dry skin as they can soothe and moisturize at the same time.
- Identify other skin concerns. Aside from hydration, do you have other skin care needs? For instance, are there dark spots or wrinkles that you want to remove? There are moisturizers that are also equipped with ingredients to deal with your other skin concerns. Moisturizers with SPF are ideal for day time while those with anti-oxidants and anti-aging ingredients are great for night time.
- Match your moisturizer with your skin type and skin care needs. The skin on your face and the skin on your body have different needs. Moisturizers with Lanolin and Shea butter may be great for the body but may clog your pores when used on the face. This means you also need different types of moisturizing products for each area.
- Stay away from harmful ingredients. The best moisturizer for your skin is one that helps hydrate your skin and lock in moisture. Be wary of products with antibacterial agents as they may strip your skin of its essential oils.
- Start small and be vigilant. Even with expert advice, one cannot be 100% sure that a skin care product will work unless you try it yourself. As such would be wise to buy a small sized moisturizer during trial period. Also be vigilant about any adverse reaction or positive result that may be observed when testing a skin care product.